Friday, December 20, 2013

Not my usual musings.

     When we stand up for the pledge of negligence or the national anthem we are stating our patriotic pride. Or is more happening? See, when someone sings at a sporting event or something like that we are expected to stand. But why? As Americans we have created this unspoken social law that states that we have to show ultimate pride for our country and if we don't then we are seen as anti American, your neighbor will look at you with a condescending look in his eye.
    
     This is propaganda being fueled by the community. Think about it, WW1 propaganda had many purposes but one major purpose was aimed at the people, the every day citizen. It aimed to create ultimate pride for their country, it was a subtle way to instill patriotism without seeming abrasive. Often it was combined with positive reinforcement, but today it is expected.
 
      I am not particularly proud of the things my country has done yet I stand. A lot of people feel the same way but yet they stand. I want to understand why this hasn't stopped. Don't get me wrong I love America, I have more freedom here than pretty much anywhere else, but what my country has done to get to where it is I do not like. I don't want to get political on this blog but I refuse to buy into this propaganda. I hope that I have enlightened you.

No comments:

Post a Comment