Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Movie On Fire: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire

    Hello everybody, it's me again with another one of my quaint little movie reviews. This one will be on the (somehwat) newly relesed "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire". And as before WARNING: SPOILER TERRITORY AHEAD.

                                Movie Review #2: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire



      
Plot: 4 out of 5
     Even though I had read the book (and wasn't OVERLY impressed with it) this movie presents the story in such an engaging and emotional way I was glued to my seat the entire movie. The storyline with the more and more mutinous districts was SO well done. Especially the scene when the Peacekeepers executed that old man. Hell, if i wasn't on a date while watching th movie, I would've screamed out "NOOOOO!" along with Katniss. And despite the fact I knew the plot twists, the movie handed them to me in a way that was new and exciting. 

Character Development: 4 out of 5
     Of the many things I wasn't super happy about in the book was the way the whole Peeta\Gale thing wasn't really made that interesting (in my opinion). The movie, however, takes the character development to a whole new level, one not seen in the previous film. It actually makes me torn over who Katniss should pick. Also, the inclusion of Katniss' PTSD  was a very nice touch, another thing I thought was strangely absent in the novel. Another plus was the fact that Peeta and I share the same favorite color. That isn't entirely relevant, but it made m want Katniss to choose him over Gale.

Special Effects: 4.5 out of 5
    The graphics, set, locations, props, and costume design in this movie were all fabulous. From the facist hints in the capital to the straight up AMAZING Peacekeeper costumes to Katniss and her dress to the suits they wear in the games, it was all amazingly well done. And, in my opinion, one of th best parts of the movie. Even though this barely fits into this catagory, I just wanted to mention I was very happy they dropped all the "shakey cam" they used in the Disctrict 12 scenes in the first movie. 

Acting: 3.5 out of 5
     Now the reason I amonly giving this movie a 3.5 out of 5 for acting is because I wasn't particularily wowed by any one actors performance. The one exception to this would be the elevator scene in the capitol, where Jennifer Lawrece's face really made that scene. I honestly couldn't stop laughing. But anyway, the acting was not bad by any means, just not anything amazing.  

     Something I thought needed some extra mention was the new Peacekeeper costumes. I LOVE these guys. Their faceless helmets take away any emotion or humanity from them, and they look downright badass. Literally, my personal favorite part of this entire movie. They could easily be the new Stormtroopers. 


     Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. It has been one of the best movies this fall. And, as my date said: "God damn it, I don't want to wait for the next one!" 

Final score: 80 out of 100
Should you go see it? Yes, but only if you have seen the first (which you need to do if you haven't already)

No comments:

Post a Comment